Medicinal Cannabis : Palliative Care & Psychosocial Barriers
This module, Medicinal Cannabis: Palliative Care and Psychosocial Barriers, will present information on the use of medicinal cannabis in serious illness/palliative care, and psychosocial barriers to medicinal cannabis access, to include:
- Economic, health literacy, and digital literacy barriers
- Psychosocial support for patients/caregivers regarding medicinal cannabis access and use
- Rationale for medicinal cannabis use in serious illness
- Pros and cons of medicinal cannabis use in palliative care patients
- Recommendations (as appropriate; forms, strains, ratios, doses, frequency)
Although certain states have legalized marijuana for medical and/or recreational use, marijuana remains a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substance Act. The growing, sale, distribution or use of marijuana therefore remains illegal under federal law. Use of marijuana for research is permitted subject to specific federal requirements. These educational courses do not provide legal advice with respect to marijuana. Physicians and other healthcare providers are encouraged to consult their own legal counsel in regards to specific legal issues and risks with respect to marijuana.
The purpose of this seminar is to provide evidenced based information in regards to medical marijuana and does not endorse or oppose its use.
A Note About Registration
|IMPORTANT BROWSER INFO: This site will not work properly on Internet Explorer 8. Please use: Chrome Firefox Safari|
Learning Objectives & Target Audience
- Discuss the barriers encountered by patients who are considering medicinal cannabis
- Describe risks and benefits of medicinal cannabis in serious illness/palliative care
- Discuss cannabinoid interaction with other medications in this patient population
- Summarize potential uses of cannabinoids for symptoms common in palliative care patients
- Discuss best practices for medicinal cannabis forms, strains, ratios, dosages in serious illness/palliative care
- Explain the value of interprofessional teamwork in the palliative care setting
Associate Provost for Innovation in Education
Director, Jefferson Institute of Emerging Health Professions
Director, The Lambert Center for the Study of Medicinal Cannabis and Hemp
Associate Dean for CME and Strategic Partner Alliances
Thomas Jefferson University
Administrative Director, The Lambert Center for the Study of Medicinal Cannabis and Hemp
Thomas Jefferson University
This course is open to all interested learners. If you are seeking CE credit, the accreditation requirements for successful completion are: You must register and complete the entire online program, viewing the video in its entirety, obtaining a successful post test score of at least 80%, and completing the online evaluation, in order to receive full credit for this course. Once these components are completed, you will immediately be able to access your CE Certificate.
If you have any questions, please contact us at JeffersonCPD@jefferson.edu.
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University designates this enduring material activity for a maximum of 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Contact Hours: RN participants who successfully complete this activity will be awarded maximum 0.75 contact hour.
Non-endorsement of products: Accreditation refers to recognition of continuing nursing education activities only and does not imply Pennsylvania State Nurses Association or ANNC Commission on Accreditation approval or endorsement of any commercial products.
This knowledge based program ( 0079-9999-18-016-H01-P ) is acceptable for 0.75 hour of continuing pharmacy education credit. Statements of Credit indicating hours/CEUs will be uploaded to CPE Monitor within 60 days following program for participants who complete this activity and submit required participant information, including evaluation, pre/post-test, NABP # and DOB.
The American Academy of Physician Assistants accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
If you have any questions regarding CE credits for this particular course, please contact us at JeffersonCPD@jefferson.edu.
- 0.75 ACPE
- 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 0.75 Attendance
- 0.75 CNE
Internet Connection and Audio Source