The purpose of the Surgical Morbidity and Mortality Educational Conference is to provide a safe venue for residents to identify areas of improvement, and promote professionalism, ethical integrity and transparency in assessing and improving patient care. The M&M Conference also provides a forum to teach curriculum on quality improvement and legal issues to residents and students and to foster a climate of openness and discussion about medical errors.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
• Identify adverse outcomes associated with medical error
• Employ behavior and judgment based on previous experiences
• Design ways to prevent repetition of errors leading to complications
• Demonstrate professionalism, ethical integrity and transparency in assessing and improving patient care
• Discuss methods of investigation of clinical and scientific articles