PA Medical Marijuana Recommender Course
Jefferson OCPD is transitioning to a new learning management system (LMS). On Monday, July 11, 2022, we will make the switch to a new LMS that offers greater ease of use and many self-service options. Due to this change, registration and completion of this course on this site must be done by Wednesday, July 6, 2022/5:00 pm EST.
Current Enrollees must complete the evaluation by Wednesday, July 6, 2022/5:00 pm EST.
The course will again be available by Friday, July 15, 2022 at the following web address: jefferson.cloud-cme.com
Questions? Please contact us.
Phone: (215) 955-6992 | Toll Free: 1-877-JEFF-CPD
This 4-hour training fulfills the Pennsylvania Department of Health’s training requirement for physicians who want to recommend medicinal marijuana to patients, and for physicians, physician assistants, pharmacists, and nurse practitioners who wish to work in Pennsylvania dispensaries.
The purpose of this course is to provide evidenced-based information on medical marijuana and does not endorse or oppose its use.
|IMPORTANT BROWSER INFO: This site will not work properly on Internet Explorer 8. Please use: Chrome Firefox Safari|
Physicians, Physician Assistants, Pharmacists, and Nurse Practitioners
- Examine the general history of medical marijuana use, state and federal regulations.
- List the conditions for which medical marijuana is permitted in PA.
- Describe how a registered physician needs to use the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program related to the PA Medical Marijuana Program.
- Describe the endocannabinoid system.
- Discuss the components of the endocannabinoid system and list its functions.
- Explain why medicinal cannabis has regulatory effects.
- Contrast phytocannabinoids with endocannabinoids and synthetic cannabinoids.
- Evaluate recent medicinal cannabis research findings and how they might impact patient care.
- Discuss the risks and benefits of MMJ in palliative care patients and in the management of patients with chronic pain.
- State which MMJ product(s) are already FDA-approved and the indications for use.
- Explain the complexities of classifying pain and how that could impact the use of MMJ in pain management.
- Identify drug interactions that may occur with MMJ.
- Discuss the potential impact of MMJ on opioid use.
- Explain the PA law and regulations to patients who are potential candidates, and to patients' caregivers, for recommendation for medical cannabis as part of their treatment plan.
- Explain the registration process and provide information about the PA DOH website.
- Discuss the risks and benefits of medical cannabis use, including medical, psychosocial, and legal implications.
- Evaluate a patient's readiness for incorporating medical cannabis into a treatment plan.
- Assess the patient's ongoing compliance with relevant processes and confirm that dispensaries will share MMJ use information with the recommending physician.
This course is designed for healthcare professionals involved in the treatment of patients who may benefit from medicinal cannabinoids.
Mark Rubinoff, JD
Sara Jane Ward, PhD
Stephen Silberstein, MD
Eric Marsh, MD, PhD
Larry Good, MD, FACG
Jessica Merlin, MD, PhD
Brooke Worster, MD, FACP
Eugene Viscusi, MD
Mark Ware, MBBS, MRCP
William Jangro, DO
Emily Hajjar, PharmD, MS, BCPS, BCACP, BCGP
Professor Dr. Dr. (h.c.) Marilyn A. Huestis
Beth Wagner, MSN, CRNP, ANP-BC, AG-ACNP,ACHPN
Greg Garber, MSW, LCSW
To successfully complete the course for continuing education credits, view all videos in their entirety, earn a successful post test score of at least 80%, and complete the online evaluation.
In support of improving patient care, Thomas Jefferson University is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Designation of Credit
PHYSICIANS: Thomas Jefferson University designates this live activity for a maximum of 4.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NURSES: Nurses will be awarded 3.08 nursing contact hours.
PHARMACISTS: This knowledge based program (PA Medical Marijuana Recommender Course) is acceptable for 2.83 hour of continuing pharmacy education credit. Statements of Credit indicating hours/CEUs will be uploaded to CPE Monitor within 60 days following program for participants who complete this activity and submit required participant information, including evaluation, pre/post-test, NABP # and DOB.
OTHER PROFESSIONALS: Continuing Education Hour verification is provided to other professionals who successfully complete this course. A certificate of completion of 4.00 Continuing Education Hours will be provided.
The following sections are approved for CE credit (listed in order in the video):
- Regulatory and Legal Aspects of Medicinal Marijuana in Pennsylvania for Physicians and Physician Assistance
- The Endocannabinoid System
- Medical Marijuana: A Synthesis of the Evidence
- Medical Marijuana Treatment
- Medical Marijuana: Adverse Effects and Drug Interactions
- Smoking Cannabis Increases Motor Vehicle Injuries & Deaths
- Medical Cannabinoids in Children and Adolescents
- Implications for Nurses Caring for Patients Utilizing Medical Marijuana
- Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program
- Documentation Tips
The following sections do not offer accredited CE credit:
- Pathology Potentially Responsive to Cannabis
- Medicinal Marijuana in Management
- Misuse, Abuse, and Addiction
Expiration: This enduring activity expires May 14, 2022. Expiration date extended to July 18, 2022.
Please direct questions to JeffersonCPD@jefferson.edu.
- 2.83 ACPE
- 4.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 4.00 Attendance
- 3.08 CNE
- 4.00 Patient Safety
Jefferson OCPD is transitioning to a new learning management system (LMS). On Monday, July 11, 2022, we will make the switch to a new LMS that offers greater ease of use and many self-service options. Due to this change, registration for this course will be accepted on this site until Wednesday, July 6, 2022/5:00 pm EST.
Registration for the course will resume on Friday, July 15, 2022 at the following web address: jefferson.cloud-cme.com
Internet Connection and Audio Source